Backups not being uploaded to remote storage (google drive)

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Backups not being uploaded to remote storage (google drive)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    warkentin_dj
    Participant

Hi,
    I realized that my backups stayed on my cPanel account and were not transfered to my remote storage. I disabled wp_crone for every 30min so my CPU usage goes down a litte, I hope that doesn´t interfere with anything.

Question 2) My site is really big (10gb currently) and I don´t really want or need to make a backup of the whole thing every week. Is there a method of how to just backup the new things that were uploaded?

warkentin_dj
    Participant
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

From the log, it appears that the backup process is allowed to run uninterrupted for a very long time.
    When it is finally timed out, it does not resume later as usually intended.

I can also see that the rate which UpdraftPlus can write data to the backup files is very low, averaging around 100KB per second. Give the size of this site, it would take over 30 hours to complete.

Please could you ask your hosts/server admin if the PHP maximum execution time limit for the site is disabled? Can they also check if it is possible to increase the read/write speed (I/O) for the site?

Incremental backups are not currently possible with UpdraftPlus, but this feature is on our roadmap.

Best Wishes,
    David N

warkentin_dj
    Participant

Hi David,
    1) The PHP maximum execution time limit is set to 3000 seconds. (default it says 90) what would you recommend?
    2) I’ll ask if they can increase my read/write speed (I/O) for my site.
    3) any approx date for incremental backups?

jgenee
    Participant

I’m having the same issue. Did changing the PHP max execution time resolve it? Also, my site is far smaller, around 2GB, and has been uploading fine before last week.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi @warkentin_dj,

Unless there is any specific reason for the maximum execution time to be longer, please could you try 900 seconds? Although, with the current I/O spped, the backup is still likely to fail eventually.

I’m afraid that we don’t have a date for incremental backups at the moment, but it is one of our active projects at the moment.

@kvitale
    , please could you create a new thread, and send us a copy of the latest backup log?
    The contents will be too long to post directly, but you can use an online service such as Dropbox or Pastebin, and post the link.

Best Wishes,
    David N

warkentin_dj
    Participant

@David
    I asked my hosting provider and they said I would have to upgrade to a VPS server, but wouldn´t want to tell me how much I would be able to increase it to.
    How do I check the I/O speed? What is your experience from VPS servers?

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

You should be able to check your I/O through your hosting control panel’s statistics view (though the exact location varies from host to host.

VPS servers are also different from host to host, but should provide a decent boost in available resources. One advantage is that you will not be competing for resources with other sites.

Best Wishes,
    David N

warkentin_dj
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Please could you send us a full copy of the backup log?

The contents will be too long to post here directly, but you can use an online service such as Dropbox or Pastebin, and post the link here.

Best Wishes,
    David N

warkentin_dj
    Participant
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Thank you.

It appears that the backup is taking a long time to upload, and is allowed to run continuously.
    However, this is causing the backup to run into a bug where authentication with Google Drive is lost during a long backup.

Our developers are currently looking into this issue.

In the meantime, please could you try adding the following line to your wp-config.php file (on the second line of the file):
    set_time_limit(300);

Then, please reauthenticate with Google Drive and attempt another backup.
    The backup should now be timed out and later resumed due to the time limit. However, it should now complete.

Best Wishes,
    David N

warkentin_dj
    Participant

Thanks David, I did that. I’ll run a full backup over the weekend and let you know.

warkentin_dj
    Participant
    Bryle Crodua

Hi,

The log shows that the backup was successful.

Can you check directly on your Google Drive if the backup was successfully sent?

Regards,
    Bryle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘Backups not being uploaded to remote storage (google drive)’ is closed to new replies.