JavaScript or jQuery problem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Deborah
    Participant

Hi,

I am unable to do a Restore from my backups. I’ve been informed by our hosting site who attempted to assist me that your version of JavaScript and jQuery are not compatible with WordPress.

The following error appeared both before and after I updated UpdraftPlus. I’m on WordPress 4.6.5 on default theme twenty sizteen.

Warning: If you can still read these words after the page finishes loading, then there is a JavaScript or jQuery problem in the site.

The linked info within WordPress from that error offers no working help.

I’ve had a critical problem on my site which broke and needed to do a restore from a backup but can’t due to this incompatibility. Not sure what I’m paying for this plugin for if it’s not compatible with WordPress, it makes no sense.

Please help, my business website is down and costing us income.

Morgan
    Participant

I am having the EXACT same problem. Is there any update?

Also, I have a developer looking at this and his initial assessment is that it is a problem WITHIN the Updraft JS, not necessarily from another plugin.

This issue needs a resolution or at least a clear way forward immediately.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Please could you open your browser’s developer’s tools (instructions here), and reload the UpdraftPlus settings page.

Do any errors appear in the developer console? Could you send us a copy or screenshot of those errors?

Best Wishes,
    David N

Deborah
    Participant

Hi David,

I took a screenshot but can’t find any means to attach any files here, only submitting an image url and don’t have means to save the upload of it online to attach that way.

The Javascript and/or JQuery within the UpdraftPlus plugin won’t work, I can’t do a manual backup, it just says ‘not finished’ and the email I received said there were errors in backing up.

Trying to do a Restore doesn’t do anything either without the Javascript working.

The email notice from the backup I tried to do manually states
    “Latest status:
    The backup attempt has finished, apparently unsuccessfully
    Backup began:
    2017-05-10 09:54
    Contains:
    Files and database (Full backup)
    Errors / warnings:
    1 errors, 0 warnings
    Errors
    • No settings were found – please go to the Settings tab and check your settings

I can’t make changes in the Settings since the Javascript doesn’t work. Only way that works to access anything is from the Updraft dropdown menu at the top of the window in the WordPress Dashboard, but clicking any of the buttons within it doesn’t.

As Morgan mentioned above, the problem is with the JS in the Updraft plugin, it’s not functioning within WordPress even with all plugins disabled, using the basic twenty sixteen theme, and now updated to the most current WP version. IT techs at Inmotion hosting analyzed this and concluded it’s your plugin and nothing to do with my site whatsoever.

I’ve copied the errors from the Developer’s Console here though as you’ve asked:

TypeError: jQuery(…).dialog is not a function
    Stack trace:
    updraft_activejobs_update@https://www.fastlanetransport.ca/wp-content/plugins/updraftplus/includes/updraft-admin.js?ver=2.13.1.21:506:7
    @https://www.fastlanetransport.ca/wp-content/plugins/updraftplus/includes/updraft-admin.js?ver=2.13.1.21:1567:26
    updraft-admin.js:512:3
    JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 1.4.1 load-scripts.php:9:542
    TypeError: a.ui is undefined[Learn More] load-scripts.php:257:126
    downloadable font: rejected by sanitizer (font-family: “dashicons” style:normal weight:normal stretch:normal src index:0) source: https://www.fastlanetransport.ca/wp-includes/fonts/dashicons.eot load-styles.php:1:11
    TypeError: jQuery(…).dialog is not a function[Learn More] updraft-admin.js:1586:2
    TypeError: jQuery(…).dialog is not a function[Learn More] options-general.php:4905:4
    Stack trace:
    updraft_activejobs_update@https://www.fastlanetransport.ca/wp-content/plugins/updraftplus/includes/updraft-admin.js?ver=2.13.1.21:506:7
    @https://www.fastlanetransport.ca/wp-content/plugins/updraftplus/includes/updraft-admin.js?ver=2.13.1.21:1567:26
    Stack trace:
    Stack trace:
    Stack trace:

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Apologies for the delay.

The errors show that jQuery is not being loaded correctly.
    This is most likely due to another plugin on the site attempting to load its own version of jQuery on the UpdraftPlus Settings page.

Please could you try temporarily deactivating the other plugins on the site? Does the UpdraftPlus JavaScript warning disappear?
    If so, reactivate your other plugins one at a time, until the UpdraftPlus page breaks again. The last plugin to be deactivated will be the culprit.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Deborah
    Participant

Hi David,

As I’ve previously stated, I have already disabled every single plugin on my site and changed my template to WordPress Twenty Sixteen. That did not work. With ALL plugins disabled and the basic Theme in operation your plugin STILL gives that error.

Our hosting site had their IT analyze everything and said the jquery error is within YOUR plugin, nothing to do with any of the plugins I have installed or WPress theme.

This is our business website which I need immediate help for. If your plugin will not work and I can’t get a fix from you for it, I need to use an alternative immediately.

I cannot as much as do a plugin update without being able to do a site backup. Our hosting company has means to do backups but charges $50 to restore a site and hours to even more than a day to do it. Our site needs immediate restoration should anything go sideways, we cannot afford to have our site down.

This is why I purchased your plugin and have paid for extra storage to begin with.

Now it will not even do an update because my paid storage is full and it will not allow me to delete any existing backups. It does not function for any manual interaction.

Please note that Morgan above stated the exact same problem, with all plugins deactivated.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

What version of WordPress is installed on your site?

Best Wishes,
    David N

Deborah
    Participant

Hi David,

The most recent version of 4.7.

It was also happening on the version prior to this newest release. I updated the site to the newest WordPress version hoping the problem would be fixed but to no avail.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

I’m afraid that we have not been able to replicate the issue on our test sites, and it does not appear to be a widespread issue.

Please could you try accessing the site from another browser/machine? Some browser extensions can interfere with JavaScript on the page.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Morgan
    Participant

Hi,

I had to step away from this for a few days, but I got a write-up from the developer I was working with who found and fixed the problem. Here is his write-up:

—–

A script that is being used to alter the look and function of select boxes
    plugins/updraftplus/includes/select2/select2.min.js?ver=4.0.3 is causing a conflict on the updraft plugin’s setting page.

The public version of this script it here:
    https://select2.github.io/

This file is making a call to function (initSelection) that was removed in the latest version of the plugin script.

The error is:
    “Error: Uncaught Error: No select2/compat/initSelection”

The old version of Select2, Select2 v3.5.2 uses the initSelection but the new version 4.0.3 does not use this function, so it is no longer included within the select2 script.

When we swap out the ver=4.0.3 file for the v3.5.2 file, the error message goes away and the updraft settings page functions as normal.

When we use the ver=4.0.3 select2.js file, the settings page is broken. If we click on the various settings tabs. “Current Status, Existing Backups, Settings, Advanced Tools, Premium Extensions” the tabs don’t work and they don’t switch to the desired content.

My developer swapped the files as described above on my site, and voila, the problem went away.

I sincerely hope that a write-up with this level of detail will help you guys realize that this is in fact in your plugin.

I look forward to a reply – and hopefully a fix.

Thanks, Morgan

Deborah
    Participant

Hi Morgan,

Thanks so much for posting all of this, but I have no idea what that even means.

Which plugin were you having conflicts with? Select2? I don’t have that installed on our site.

With ALL of our plugins disabled and switching to WPress default twenty sixteen theme I still had the problem with Updraft Plus plugin not working as you mentioned.

Thanks.

Morgan
    Participant

Hi,

select.js and select2.js are JavaScript files within the overall Updraft plugin. I had a developer swap out these files as described in my prior post and it resolved the issue.

I do not recommend doing this unless you have a competent, experienced developer do it – and even then, only if you are desperate (as I was).

I have posted this level of detail in hopes that the Updraft development team can address the issue and come out with a new release ASAP. In that case, all you would need to do is update to the new version of the Updraft plugin and move on to bigger and better things.

Thanks, Morgan

Deborah
    Participant

Hi Morgan,

Thank you SO much again for your helpful info and insight.

We are not as fortunate to have a developer to do this for us.

I hope that Updraft is still following this thread. I suggest that you start a new one addressing exactly what you wrote here to ensure that they are seeing this.

If nothing comes within a week at most for an update to Updraft’s plugin I will be moving on to one of their top competitors and discontinuing use of theirs. We cannot afford to lose functionality of our business website.

If anyone is paying for this plugin, it is because backups and self-generated restorations are vital to one’s site. Not being able to do so makes this Updraft plugin pointless and irrelevant.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Morgan,

Your post about Select2 doesn’t make sense to me, because the file which you suggest swapping out is not a file which *uses* Select2 – it *is* Select2 (the official 4.0.3 release). So, I think some information from the person who gave you that information has got confused somewhere along the way. Please can you ask him to clarify?

David

morgan.mcreynolds
    Participant

Please re-read the original post. It says to replace the version of the select2.js file. Specifically, to go back to the version that has the initSelection function.

I hope this is clear enough.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘JavaScript or jQuery problem’ is closed to new replies.