Migration to WP multisite

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    louis.deschenes
    Participant

As per specs, migration from a standalone WordPress site into a WordPress network is supported. I did read the faq https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-do-i-migrate-to-a-new-site-location/ but I do not see any special instructions about multisite in there.

I did many migrations before but none to a network so I want to make sure what I am doing before trying.
    How do we indicate the sub-site (sub-domain) for the new site ?
    I already create the new site (sub-domain) with basic site info… Is that OK ?
    Any other tips for restoring to network you might have will be welcome.

BTW, I do understand that this “might not work” but I believe I have good chance as the site I want to migrate is “identical” to the main site of the network (same theme, same plugins)

Thanks!

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Are you migrating a standalone WordPress install into your Multisite WordPress install?

Regards,
    Bryle

louis.deschenes
    Participant

Yes, I am migrating a standalone WordPress install into your Multisite WordPress install.
    I want to migrate to a sub-site sundomain1.mysite.com not to the main site.

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Due to the complications in converting from the single-site structure to the multisite structure, this feature is not guaranteed to succeed in all circumstances.

Before attempting this, you will need to read the following information, which explains the difficulties and caveats fully:

Information on importing a single site WordPress backup into a WordPress Network (i.e. multisite)

One thing to note in particular is that Users cannot be imported from the single site.

Regards,
    Bryle

louis.deschenes
    Participant

Bryle,

I did read that already… but I do not see any special instructions about multisite in there.

My specific question was :

How do we indicate the sub-site (sub-domain) for the new site ?
    I already create the new site (sub-domain) with basic site info… Is that OK ?

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

In the restoration process, you should be able to select the sub-site that you want to restore it to.
    It will only appear if you have selected only the Uploads and Database sections of the backup to restore.

Sub-domain with the basic info is okay.

Regards,
    Bryle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Migration to WP multisite’ is closed to new replies.