Backup stuck

• This topic has 31 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Ed.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi Ed,

Apologies for the delay.

Please could you send us a copy of the new log file?

Best Wishes,
    David N

Ed
    Participant

I believe I discovered the issue. Years ago I added a PHP.ini file to the root folder that included a Max Execution Time = 900. I changed that directive to 3600, ran my development site
    backup (same PHP.ini file in root but using 3600) and it executed properly to EOJ. I am now running the PROD backup to see if that was indeed the issue and can report back tomorrow (Wednesday).

Ed
    Participant

The production site backup executed through EOJ and uploaded the zip files but it issued the usual PCLZIP errors as it did before. Not sure how I can resolve the PCLZIP error for future job runs. Any help is appreciated.

The attempt to close the zip file returned an error (PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature). List of files we were trying to add follows (check their permissions).

Log file link below:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3ejggceg4oztjz/log.e60c1481523e.txt?dl=0

Ed
    Participant

Backup’s are still failing in Production. Can someone respond with how to resolve the PCLZIP error that is shown in the dropbox log text file? Thanks.

I am going live with the new website theme from my development environment this Thursday so I desperately need a clean backup of production.

Ed
    Participant

Now my development backup is failing as well. Here is the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8v5lq5qqu8gyav/log.90c54efaa444.txt?dl=0

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Both sites show resumptions being timed out after ~120 seconds each time. With the size of the site, and the current I/O rate (write speed), the backups are simply taking too long and are being timed out.

As for the ZIP error, as space is not an issue, it is possible that operation is being timed out partway through writing the file in question, leading to it becoming corrupted.

I would recommend asking your hosts/server admin if it is possible to increase the I/O limit for the server, and to check for anything else that may be limiting the execution time of PHP scripts.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Ed
    Participant

Thank you for the response. I contact GoDaddy.com and they will increase our I/O on the account sometime this account. It appears we have hit the max size on I/O over the past week likely from running the backup jobs. I will report back once I know I/O has been increased and I can schedule the backup job again.

Also, how do I release one of my 2 licenses available for UpdraftPlus? I have one of the licenses assigned to localhost (my laptop) and it really needs to be assigned to test.corvetteclubsantabarbara.com.

Thanks.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Ed,

I have reset that license for you. You can now connect the test site to it.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Ed
    Participant

Thanks for the reset. Do I need to un-install/re-install UpdraftPlus to get the Premium add-ons? I need to set a schedule for the backup during the evening hours.

Also, I just re-ran my backup for the development site and it failed even with the extra CPU (2 CPU’s). Maybe I need to wait until the evening hours as GoDaddy may be cancelling jobs sucking resources during the day.

Ed
    Participant

I figured out the refresh of UpdraftPlus and can now schedule backups to run during the evening hours in my development version. I am re-running the development backup tonight and see if it runs to EOJ without errors.

The production backup ran last night but issued the usual PCLZIP – see attached log file.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmdutpp5ziik2a0/log.e14e62fd3996.txt?dl=0

Ed
    Participant

Once again, the backup timed out in Development – NOT FINISHED status. The first line in the log shows that the max_execution_time is 900 seconds yet I have a PHP.ini directive showing 3600. Very frustrated as to why nothing seems to resolve the backup timeout issue with a deadline looming to move this develpment site into production.

Also, there seems to be a slew of UPLOADS files @ 25mb. What is the default UpdraftPlus max zip file size – 40 mb?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08z0m1tmebxik8h/log.df822705d515.txt?dl=0

Ed
    Participant

Looking through the last backup log file and a newer log file from just running the backup, the max_execution_time is the same @ 900 seconds which tells me that UpdraftPlus software is not reading the Linux Server PHP setting for max_execution_time. I looked at PHP Info through UpdraftPlus and sure enough the max_execution_time shows 3600 seconds – obtained from the server.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Ed,

Is it possible that there is another mechanism on the server that is timing out scripts, in addition to the PHP configuration?

For example, FastCGI timeout or a limit configured in the .htaccess file?

Best Wishes,
    David N

Ed
    Participant

I believe that our Uploads folder size is just too large for UpdraftPlus. I disabled Uploads in the Settings tab, re-ran the backup job and it completed to normal EOJ without errors. I will just do an FTP of the entire Uploads folder from TEST to PROD once I use the UpdraftPlus Migration tool in PROD.

I have checked everything related to max_execution_time in both sites (TEST and PROD) and nothing is screaming out a limitation to me. Maybe GoDaddy has a default limit on batch jobs for max_execution_time = 900 running in the background regardless of any PHP settings. I will call GoDaddy once again and see if THEY have set boundaries on batch jobs running on a Server.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

Looking at the log, I can see that neither /usr/bin/zip nor the PHP ZipArchive module are installed/available. As a result, UD has to fall back to PclZip, a pure PHP zip engine which is a *lot* slower. Can you ask your hosting company how to enable /usr/bin/zip (best) or PHP ZipArchive, and then try again? Things should then go a lot better.

David

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • The topic ‘Backup stuck’ is closed to new replies.