My first Migration, need some help!

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin My first Migration, need some help!

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    adribiga
    Participant

Ok, yesterday I decided to migrate my website to a localhost because I have to make some major changes and I need to test them in local before I can put them online.
    Updraftplus looks like the way to go but after 24hr I haven’t made it jet…

I have done the back-up of my site in Google Drive and I’ve install a fresh WP in my local machine using WAMP. The WP new installation in the local machine have a different username, database, passwords than the online website, is this a problem in anyways?

I’ve followed the guide https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-do-i-migrate-to-a-new-site-location/ and in point 3 I had some issues:
    1st method don’t work at all in my local, there is no Key at all and just refresh the page (after some times)
    3rd method don’t work because I can’t set the google drive properly so that they are both connected to the same (I don’t understand why)
    At the end the easiest way so to download the backup from GDrive and put it manually in the Updraft folder but I would like one of the other method to work since to do the same in the Server will take me forever….

And finally I manage to have the backup ready for a try, I selected everything: theme, plugin, media and to change the links but nothing worked. Some content was pass and other not. The theme the is only my child and not my main, media there are the files but I can’t see them in the preview, plugin only one out of 15, my login name and password was changed. There are some messages of error:
    First the chrome error window say something like:”The file you are updating is empty, try to update something more concreate” (I’ve translated the message from italian)
    Second in the log an error is reported.

Please help me, tell me what I have to do…

adribiga
    Participant

Ok…I’ve tried with a different site and I still have problems when I restore…plugin and themes give this kind of mistakes… Error screenshot

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

To help us determine the cause of the issue, could you send us a copy of the restoration log? This log can be found in the ‘wp-content/updraft’ directory of the site, via FTP.

The contents will be too long to post here directly, but you can use an online service such as Dopbox or Pastebin, and post the link here. You can also set your reply to private.

From the screenshot, it appears that there may be a permissions issue with the wp-content/plugins directory. Could you check the permissions for this directory (They should be set to 755).

Smashing Magazine has a good guide on the file permissions required for WordPress:
    https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/05/proper-wordpress-filesystem-permissions-ownerships/#file-and-folder-ownership-for-wordpress

Best Wishes,
    David N

adribiga
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

From the logs, it does appear that there is a permissions issue with your localhost. You will need to ensure that WordPress has the correct file permissions and ownership.

Smashing Magazine has a good article on the required permissions/ownerships required for WordPress:
    https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/05/proper-wordpress-filesystem-permissions-ownerships/#file-and-folder-ownership-for-wordpress

Each site connected to your UpdraftPlus account, including localhosts, take up a licence. However, if you find that any licences have been taken up by temporary or test sites that are no longer needed, you can open a support ticket here, and we can reset those licences for you.

Best Wishes,
    David N

adribiga
    Participant

Thank you my friend, I understand what you are saying anyway I have no idea how can I control and change the WordPress file permission and ownership in my local host. Should I just Properties -> Security the folder from windows?

I’m sorry for the noob question but this is the first time that I try to move a site to my computer and I just installed WAMP. I have no idea how to configurate WAMP or my computer properly…give me some tips. Thanks

adribiga
    Participant

Ok…I’ve just tried with another of my site (it’s just a two pages site) and it worked good. I didn’t have much stuff on it, only 3 plugins, some media and the database but everything worked. For this reason I really don’t think it’s a permission issue, it’s something else. I’ve tried in in my 2 much bigger sites and it’s not working at all. I will do another site everything from the beginning with a clean install and than I will post you the log. If you can help me and we can make it work I would be happy, if not I will have to learn to do it manually and you will have to give me a re-found… I feel like I pay 90€ for something that it’s working in a two page site (where I don’t need it) and it’s not working in my hundred pages site where I really need it!

So, please help me to solve this so everybody it’s happy :)

adribiga
    Participant
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Would it be possible to also send us a copy of the restoration log for the small site? This will allow us to compare the two restorations.

Could you also attempt to restore the larger site excluding the Plugins section, and send a copy of that log?

Best Wishes,
    David N

adribiga
    Participant
    udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

The log indicates that your destination WordPress install is not set up correctly. Specifically, its file permissions do not allow PHP (and hence WordPress) to over-write files within the wp-content directory. As such, WordPress (and hence its plugins) cannot write files to disk (such as the files in your backup which it wants to restore).

You need to make sure that WP is setup such that all files are owned by and writeable by the user that PHP runs as in your webserver setup.

Best wishes,
    David

adribiga
    Participant

Thanks again for all the help. What I’ve done is to change the permission to all the directories directly from windows and there are some improvements (looks like a lot of things are actually working fine). I’m a little bit concern with the security of my site, should I let it like this when I put it back online or should I change the permission?

I’ve only tried in one site, as soon as I have time I will try the others but I still have an issue with this one:
    All my media files that have some “special italian letter” like é è ì à ù in the original file name are not showing up, not even in the WP media section. Something went wrong with that files but I don’t understand what. Do you have any idea? I thought it could be the Database so I change from utf8_unicode_ci to latin1_bin but the results was the same. Do you know what it can be and what should I do?
    Thanks

adribiga
    Participant
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

I’m a little bit concern with the security of my site, should I let it like this when I put it back online or should I change the permission?

The proper permissions fr WordPress are:

• All files should be 644
    • All directories/folders should be 775
    • wp-config.php should be 660

All my media files that have some “special italian letter” like é è ì à ù in the original file name are not showing up, not even in the WP media section.

Could you send us a copy of the latest restoration log for the site? Could you also check the ‘w-content/uploads’ directory, and see if the files themselves are present?

The log for the new site that you attempted to restore appears to show the restoration being timed out while restoring the database. Could you (or your hosts) check the maximum execution time allowed for scripts on the server?

Best Wishes,
    David N

adribiga
    Participant

Hi David, like always you are very useful.
    Right now I don’t have the last log of the site because I was doing experiment and I delete it. I will send it to you as soon as I have the next one. Anyway, the restoration was successful and, if I remember correctly, the file are present. But the names are changed to strange symbols where was à é ù ecc..ecc… so are not uploaded in the page. I’ve noticed that also the text content of the pages have the same issue: It the post title was “Autorità” than it shows “Autorit?” with the ? inside a black rhombus. Maybe is a problem of my browser that don’t recognize the language but why in the online site it works?

Also this new site restoration is in local like the first one. Is in WAMP server a maximum execution time? Should I made some changes in the WAMP settings?

Best wishes to you!
    Adriano

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘My first Migration, need some help!’ is closed to new replies.